There is a log of jargon and terminology used by developers and designers, below is a list of a number of them.
- Content Management System (CMS) – software system to create and modify online content.
- Host – company who provides you , hosts, your website and email. e.g. GoDaddy, Hostgator, HostingIreland, Hosting365, Blacknight etc.
- Internet Service Provider (ISP) – company who provide you with internet access. e.g. UPC, Magnet, Sky, Eircom, etc.
- Operating System – software which runs your computer. e.g. MS Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
- Plugin – is an additional piece of software which adds functionality to the main software
- Search Engine – Google, there are others such as Bing and Ask.
- Server – refers to the computer or program on the computer your website is hosted on.
- Social Media – online services to connect, share and communicate with others. e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Instagram, Redit, SnapChat, etc.
- Theme – is often the layout and design template for website